Thursday, February 2, 2012

With Regards to Love

I took this photo some time ago.  A bit cliche I think, but I was rather pleased with it.  Sunsets and beaches, couples gazing upon horizons; images conjuring romantic visions of love.  I like that stuff, sometimes.

Love draws contemplation. Allen Ginsberg saw it as a dirty sunflower near a railroad track. Shakespeare's  Romeo observed its oxymoronic complexities, while Emily Dickinson, perhaps, found it in solitude. 

Students at Moscrop, and in many highschools across the country are at present discovering the results of their Matchmaker quests.  We love, love and yet it often evades or troubles us.

It is a worthy subject though.  I recently asked my Facebook friends to answer the question, "What advice would you give students about writing a love poem".  Their answers were varied and are still coming in. Many say to avoid cliche, and to forget about words like "baby" and "soul".   One friend mentioned that you should never send a love poem until you've had it previewed by a near and trusted friend.  Others are writing in to tell me about the first time they fell in love.  I for one, still reflect fondly on the time Ross, my grade three playmate, built a blanket tent and we knelt beneath it to listen to records.    I think  my favourite piece of advice though, was a comment credited to Barbara Adler, who says, "Don't write about how it is, write about how it could be".


Whatever you write, write it with unembarassed verve! Give it heart and guts ~ enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. "Don't write about how it is, write about how it could be." Sound advice! I'll be sure to keep that in mind when I write.

    Katy Thompson
    Block: 3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Katy; hopefully this will work for me.

    Amanda
    Block 3

    ReplyDelete